Monday, August 11, 2008

Kids' Health Book Review

I just finished reading How To Raise A Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor by Robert Mendelsohn and I just wanted to recommend it to all my Mommy friends. I have some issues with it -- Even though he's a doctor, he's pretty redundant in his opposition to going to the doctors in most instances and isn't all that nice to the medical field. I have some friends and family in the medical field and don't believe that they are all just out to get your money :) However, I think this book is invaualble in helping Mommies recognize common childhood problems/illnesses and gives great advice on how to handle each one. He spends a chapter on everything, from headaches to tummy-aches to fevers to vaccines. I learned so much and feel so much more confident in handling most things at home. I especially appreciated the chapter on fevers because that is really the only symptom my toddler has ever had in either of her two sicknesses. He reassured me in what I already knew, that a fever should be allowed to run its course because it is fighting the sickness. Its so hard not to pop the Tylenol, but I am determined next time to let nature take its course. He did also give tips on what to do with a high fever, but I'm not going to go into all he said; you'll have to read it yourself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment