Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Books on discipline


One of my friends recently asked me about books I would recommend on discipline and as I e-mailed her back, I thought I might as well make a post out of it :) Discipline is a HUGE issue and I have definitely tried to read as much on it as possible. But it is still a huge struggle for us. Honestly, it seems to change each month. For a a while, my toddler will listen so well and obey, and then all of a sudden, she starts disregarding our commands completely! It is amazing to us. I think part of it is because of the stages she goes through as she changes and grows, and another part is definitely our fault. I think that when she is doing well for the most part, we ease up a little and maybe let her get away with little things because she is doing so well overall... and then she starts to think she can get way with everything! So believe me when I say that we are still trying to figure it out and will welcome any comments giving us advice :) I think the main thing is to remember to be consistent, even when I am trying so hard to get something else done or when I'm too stinkin' tired to care :) Because if I ease up one day, I'll regret it the next!

But here are the best materials I have read that have helped me the most: (sorry about the different font types -- my copy and paste function is weird :)

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp -- I read this book for school and it is just awesome! It really gets to the most important part about discipline -- reaching your child's heart. It is a must read for all parents!

Don't Make Me Count to Three: a Mom's Look at Heart-Oriented Discipline by Ginger Plowman -- this is perfect for busy Moms -- its a short, fun, and easy read and has all the basic concepts from Shepherding a Child's Heart, just not as in depth

Growing Kids God's Way: Biblical Ethics for Parenting -- by Ezzo: I had heard really good things about this study (my church back home used it for a parenting study group and other friends recommended it as well, so I was excited to find it at our school's share shop. I'm still working through it, but have learned a lot already. It starts with the basics of theology and salvation as a necessary foundation, but then goes into more practical stuff on how discipline works. Its more something to read on and off for a couple of months than a one-time read, but its good info.

For young babies: Most of the other books I mentioned really deal with the heart issues in a way that I can't quite yet do with my toddler. Once she really starts talking and understanding more, than we will be able to discuss the why of discipline with her. Right now, we are just trying to get her to understand that we expect her to obey the very first time we give her a command. And the best I've read on disciplining young babies is found at THIS LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment