I came down with shingles during my last pregnancy and it was utterly miserable. It was well over a month before I was able to sleep through the night without the pain or itching waking me up. Throughout that month, I stumbled across different things that helped to relieve the pain and I wanted to write them down before I forgot them. I put something on my sores every couple hours and just alternated between each of these throughout the day. Although I was in intense pain and couldn't imagine it being any worse, my spots did not get as bad as the pictures on the internet so I do believe these natural remedies helped a lot!
1. Acupuncture -- The only nights that I managed a decent sleep during that month were the 3 times I did Acupuncture. It is the only time I have ever done it and I don't love the process (those little needles can hurt!) but for some reason it really works! If my shingles were to ever return, I would immediately head to the Acupuncture office to see if I could avoid such a bad case of it.
2. Chiropractic care -- by the time I realized that my malady was shingles, I was in too much pain to be adjusted. If I contracted it again, however, I would immediately get adjusted because my research showed chiropractic care to be very effective.
3. Essential oils -- I alternated using tea tree oil (melaleuca) and ravintsara diluted with a tiny bit of coconut oil. Lemon, Lavendar, Geranium, and Roman Chamomile are supposed to help as well.
4. Collodial Silver gel -- this is antiviral and really helps! I alternated it with the essential oils several times a day.
5. Peaceful Mountain Shingles Rescue Homeopathic Gel -- this was very soothing!
6. Derma Change Shingles Relief Cream -- the Maneuka honey in this was soothing to my sores as well. I alternated this with the Homeopathic Gel above every night before bed.
7. T-Relief tablets -- these have arnica as well as several other homeopathic remedies. I took one every time I woke up in pain and I do believe they helped dull the pain so I could go back to sleep. I took this instead of Tylenol because I was pregnant and didn't want to take Tylenol PM every night.
8. Arnica gel -- I alternated this with the silver gel several times a day and I do think it helped.
9. Collodial Silver -- I drank this about 3 times a day in an effort to kill the virus more quickly.
10. Dr. Christopher's Formula Cayenne Heat Ointment -- I was afraid to use this when my sores were raw and angry because it is so potent, but once they transitioned to more of an intense nerve pain rather than a topical pain, this was very effective.