Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blanket Time

** To see an update of blanket time, click HERE!

To help with my sanity when the baby comes, I am implementing a new activity into our (normal:) daily schedule: blanket time! This has been a lot of work, but is going to be sooooo worth it! Basically, I give Karis some toys that I know she enjoys, usually sensory things like beans, linking cubes, a box of Christmas bows, etc, and instruct her to play on the blanket and not get off. This week my goal is ten minutes, and I plan to raise it five minutes every week til she can do 30 min (hopefully enough time to change and nurse the baby :) The first day I spent the whole time disciplining her for getting off the blanket, but today she played for 15 minutes without hardly looking up at me! (OK, so beans happen to be her very favorite thing in the world and she was so excited about pouring them in all the containers I gave her that she didn't want to stop :) I love this idea for so many reasons! It teaches her patience, obedience, and hopefully how to sit still better (which should help at church!) Its also really good for her to play by herself and I just love hearing her talk to the toys and interact without my help. It also makes beans and other small sensory things sooo much easier to clean up since they have to stay on the blanket :) Eventually, once the disciplining stage is over with, it will really help me to get things done or have some time with the new baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment